Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Ry Guy

Last fall, Chula had her teeth cleaned.  Her pre-anesthesia lab work showed that her liver enzymes were elevated.  The number was not super high and so the decision was made to monitor.  A recheck was done a few months later and showed another elevated level but about the same and so again we decided to recheck.    August 3rd we rechecked the liver function tests and unfortunately the number was even higher.  So Dr. Blair decided to do a test to rule out one of the most common causes of liver problems.  We did that test a week later and sadly, her numbers were very abnormal and high and so a referral to the U of MN vet hospital was made.  We went to the U and had an ultrasound and biopsy of her liver.  Thankfully, her ultrasound was normal.  The biopsy didn't show anything abnormal either.  I'm grateful for the best results possible in light of the fact that her liver health isn't quite perfect.  We'll start liver support supplements and monitor...and hope that this is the worst of it and I will have my girl for many years to come!

The biopsy results came on a very sad day for me.  I received the news on Friday.  Thursday night was a very sad night and one I will never forget.  My sweet foster kitty Ryan passed away.  He went to the vet that Monday to get a full physical and make sure he had a clean bill of health so we could make him available for adoption.  His blood work, urine analysis and xrays were all normal.  He was behaving normal, eating, and being very friendly with the vet hospital staff.  Then suddenly, Thursday evening, he started to vomit and have diarrhea and was in a lot of pain.  His labs were checked and the results were abnormal.  His blood pressure bottomed out.  Having no idea what was going on, the vets worked to try to figure out what was happening to him.  He became sick so fast and his little body gave out very quickly.  They found fluid in his abdomen and the anesthesiologist sedated him to draw fluid off.  Just after that his little body gave out altogether and they were unable to wake him up and he died.

My little Ry Guy only lived a short year.  In that time, he was homeless and then rescued by PPR and came to live with Chula, Nelly and I.  He was an adorable and friendly little kitty and immediately curled up with Chula for a snuggle.  He was adopted after a short 6 weeks.  About two months ago his "family" returned him to PPR.  He was having some behavior issues and they were not willing to stick by him and work through it. I immediately said he could come back to live with us when I learned he was back.  He was full size and huge, so big I could hold him on my hip like a baby.  His tail measured 11 inches long and he had one white whisker.  He was handsome and his usual self, wanting to play and hang out and be part of the gang.  We were working through his issues and I wanted so bad for him to be available for adoption again someday.  I wanted him to have another chance to find a forever family and be someone's beloved cat.  Although heartbroken, I am so glad he knew life here in my home.  He would sleep curled up every night against the back of my legs and sit in the window and meow as I would pull my car into the garage when coming home. I am so glad I opened my home up to him because despite the loss, I know he died a happy cat.  He knew he was safe here and loved and he was a part of the family that we have here.  He was also a part of the PPR family who stood by him when his "family" wouldn't and provided food and medical care and had plans to continue to care for him.  And in the end, didn't let him suffer endlessly and did everything they could for him.  I am grateful he was under PPR's care the last months of his life.

Ryan, you were important and loved. You were not unwanted or a nuisance and many people are missing you now and will always remember you.  Especially me, Nelly and Chula.

His favorite toy











He would have to have one paw touching Nelly when he would sleep


No comments:

Post a Comment