Tuesday, November 1, 2011

CANDi's Clinic, Day #2

Today started pretty heavy...for me, it was a monsoon here in Isla Mujeres.  I left for Cancun 2 1/2 hours later than planned cause it was just a mess.  At the clinic a dog came in with cancer and a variety of other problems.  Sadly this doggy was euthanized and I was glad that I was late.  Sounds like it was very sad for everyone.

Then around lunch time I offered to take a kitty for a girl who was holding it so that she could go eat.



This little baby was so sweet but I immediately noticed her breathing was really labored.  The vet tech checked her out and I kept snuggling her.  She was struggling and eventually her color started to change.  Shortly after she was rushed back into the surgery room with the vets...I thought she was going to die...I was so sad, I had to walk away to keep from losing it.   An update on her was that she was crashing...and then!  About 30 minutes later she's back in recovery and was okay!  She had a hernia and they did emergency surgery to fix her and she was on the road to recovery.  I was so happy.

Then the dog Tequila started having problems in recovery.  She was a big girl and she started having labored breathing and wasn't waking up and was really really cold.  It got to the point where they went and got one of the vets who was on lunch break.  Right as they were all assessing and working with her the owner came in to get her.  The look of concern and sadness on his face when he realized that Tequila was in trouble was really sad.  It didn't look good but I think the vet was determined and Tequila wanted to live!  This is how they left:



Couldn't get enough of these cuties:




I think my favorite of the litter was this one:


Their momma--that's the last litter for her!



There were some naughty ones today...this dog totally wanted to bite Maia, PPR chieftain


Today also brought another young guy who loves his dogs and it really showed through in the dog's personalities




Awesome volunteers

Yup, those are ticks floating in the bowls



Anyone interested in helping and shops at the dollar store?  These shelves were filled with collars and leashes.  Dogs are being brought in with collars so tight they have to be cut off, in wires, chains, rope.  I can't tell you how much $20 worth of collars from The Dollar Tree would help these animals.  I brought a big bag in but really didn't realize the importance.  Once we run out the rest of the pups will have to go without. :(  


I want to end by saying thanks to Chula and Nelly's Tia Deb.  She is watching over everything so that I can follow this passion and be here...and without worry (in fact I think Chula is on more of a typical vacation than me!).   I can't put in to words how much that means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment