Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lazo Lebrun

The longer this goes on, the more I feel in my heart that Lazo didn't necessarily come here to live.  That was my plan, but I now see there was another plan.  I'm not sure this little guy would ever have the right quality of life.  Of course, between my vet and I we have no way of knowing for sure but if I tune in to everything things seem pretty obvious.  It's super sad.  But I know that he couldn't withstand continued medical treatment and it's pretty clear that he would have to.  I know that he can't feel the greatest.  And I don't think it's humane to let him get any worse.  His little bursts of appetite and energy have been so endearing and I am glad not only for him that he can have these times but that these will be some of my last memories of him.  I would love to think that these things mean he will get better, but I just don't feel that deep down inside and I also am making myself look at the big picture.  If I look at what he does the majority of the day, he is sleeping and somewhat withdrawn.  No matter what, though, he snuggles in.  He's always up for that.  I know without a doubt that I don't want him to deteriorate any further.  That and not making him do painful medical procedures, I am 100% sure about that.

So we are at the end.  My little guy and me.  I think that we crossed paths so he could come here and know love before he died.  And to not have to be cold, alone, labored, suffering.  He came here to teach me some things and to have all that I gave him and then die held and loved.  Just slip away peacefully.

Last night

Love how his hair is growing in

2 comments:

  1. Jill, i'm so sorry about the loss of Lazo :( Thank you so much for sharing his story with all of us through your amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, I'm so sorry to hear about little Lazo. He's suffered so much in his young life...but not in these last few weeks, and that's all due to you and your HUGE HEART. Sending you love and strength during this difficult time

    ReplyDelete