Thursday, February 24, 2011

On Lazo's Terms

When I first decided to help Laz, I knew in the back of my mind that his time was limited.  Of course, I didn't know if that meant weeks, months, years.  I rescued him with the hopes of getting him back to his best, but always knew that I may just be giving him a safe and loving place to live out the rest of what could be a short life.  Either way, I knew that my heart would be broken but had no reservations about still doing my best by Lazo.  So here we are, a little over a week since Lazo lost his appetite and he hasn't gotten it back.  Because of this he has become weak and tired.  That being said, he has also found his place in this family.  I know I have earned his trust and that he feels safe here.  Although my heart is breaking by how this seems to be playing out, I am able to find some comfort knowing he has known love and compassion.  He's gotten tummy rubs, treats, stories told to him, kisses on the head, snuggled.  He has been warm and dry, has felt the sunshine, had a name and learned his name and had a collar with a name tag that says LAZO.   He has warmed himself by a fire and has waited for someone to come back when left alone...and I always did.  He has wagged his tail and come when called and has had a sister, mom, aunties, doggy friends.  And last night he slept in the bed with Chula and I.

I'm going to pay close attention and follow Lazo's lead.  I'm going to let him decide how this will all play out.  And in the end, I will know I have given him everything I have.  And that's what this was always all about.




2 comments:

  1. Lazo, thanks for teaching us so much. Words can't describe how cute you really are....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you lazo. You are an easy dog to say that to.

    ReplyDelete